So much for not working after 10. I only even started today at 11PM. I felt lazy and didn't have the mental energy right after work, so I spent far too much time reading about medieval and Victorian laundry methodologies. I also had yet another flare up of severe pain, compounded with the lingering pain of the injection that the doctor gave me...to deal with the pain. It's only been a few hours. We'll see how that works out. My body never did like cooperating easily. TLDR, I started late.The words may not take courage to write, but the path takes audacity and courage to follow. #amwriting pic.twitter.com/DuaQa12E13— The UnNovelist (@TheUnNovelist) May 18, 2016
Strangely enough, it was painting my nails that got me to open the file. I'd started previously, but didn't want to go to work with the nasty half-assed crap I had on. Doesn't take long, figured I might as well type a bit while waiting for it to dry. Also reminded me of my goal at least to look at the file every day, even if I don't write anything.
What I Did:
I outlined and wrote for a couple of hours. I didn't make much headway in either, but there were ideas. There were bits of potential stories manifesting. This is taking on an almost becoming-a-hero-in-the-worst-way sort of arc. In addition, I can feel the influence of existing plot bunnies/characters in Noot. Here's my chance to get to play with them.
I do know a couple of the scenes that must happen now, at least in terms of broad strokes conflict/where to push the character, even if not how.
What I Plan to Do Next:
Keep writing more. Keep outlining until I finish.
Obstacles:
I feel like I spent a lot of time outlining like a spinning hamster wheel with no hamster. Still not done, because I hit the inevitable blank wall where it asks for things like 'final reversal' and 'outcome', and I failed because I just don't know those things yet. Hell, I am not sure of the real conflict/plot yet. Just ideas. I guess I need more plot generation. Writing. Answering questions. Something concrete. This story is proving very hard to nail down.
There were also the voices in my head that kicked in the minute I started writing. They helped me fashion the opening of an opening scene by suggesting elements to add tension, but then turned unhelpful by telling me that what I had sucked. In order to avoid being drowned by them, I need to accept what I have and forge ahead. I hit a wall there again, because I haven't really introduced the character properly, and I don't want to waste time before that's done, but the fact is, I either need to accept it and try to just get the story down (at which point the voices taunt me that I'll end up with another Red Button, a draft I poke at endlessly but don't know what to do with), or write very, very slowly, answer more questions to get the concrete points, and slowly craft the opening in order to get another story like Blank, which I love (at which point the voices insist I'll never find the right questions and I'll be stuck here forever because what are the chances of it happening twice?), but risk losing the story to the voices.
That said, writing shouted back those voices just a little, but they're still there. I feel like this is a lottery. You really don't know what you're going to get. You've just betting on success.
I feel like writing might potentially have unblocked...something, even if I don't know what it is yet.
The Little Nootmaid. That is all. Mysterious plot hint is mysterious. #amplotting
— J. A. Rama (@Bobo_The_Bard) May 19, 2016
No comments:
Post a Comment