What I Did:
Today I wrote 165 words in about 20 minutes. I want to post a Twitter worthy excerpt every day from what I've written that day. Apparently this automatically makes me pretty up my best sentence and a few more besides into something I don't hate entirely. It's good low pressure editing, because it lets me leave the sucky parts alone in peace without the stress of trying to perfect an entire monolith that isn't ready for it, but I still get the benefit of seeing where it could go.
Today I wrote 165 words in about 20 minutes. I want to post a Twitter worthy excerpt every day from what I've written that day. Apparently this automatically makes me pretty up my best sentence and a few more besides into something I don't hate entirely. It's good low pressure editing, because it lets me leave the sucky parts alone in peace without the stress of trying to perfect an entire monolith that isn't ready for it, but I still get the benefit of seeing where it could go.
It's like what I used to do when I was younger (the happy-making part, not the execrable pretentious people prose part), except simplified.
What I Plan To Do Next:
Tomorrow I hope to write more words. The goal is to write 500 words in an hour. I know I can do more in less time, but I want to ease myself into this routine slowly. Like any other exercise, it will take time to build up my writing stamina.
The other part is, I'm trying to increase specificity in my sentences. One of my go-to sentences that I ALWAYS find myself writing when I get stuck is "Thunder rumbled in the distance." All well and good, except that tells us exactly nothing. I like ominous magical portents that strike fear into the heart of the main character and spur then to action as much as any fantasy fan, except there's no way you can gather any of that that from that sentence. When that happened today, I tried examining what exactly I was trying to do, and what I was trying to achieve, what message I was trying to convey. I then arrived at the weird bouncing pebbles I mentioned on Twitter. It's not perfect, but at least it's clearly magical and tied specifically to MY world.
Obstacles:
Pain flared up again today. That is all. I had to take breaks.
Maybe I should set my goal to half an hour of writing first, then gradually increase.
No comments:
Post a Comment